A day in the cenote Ik Kil
One of the most impressive cenotes that I have seen in my life, located in the Yucatan peninsula, a few kilometers away from Chichen Itza, is a must to visit if you are in the area, it’s depth and size makes this cenote a unique experience for remember your vacation in Yucatan.
If you live in the Mexican Caribbean you also is very close from Cancun or Playa del Carmen, they are about 2 hours by car and you can add Chichen Itza to your tour.
If you are in Tulum for the new highway you can do up to 1:30 minutes (but the fee is almost $200 MX too expensive for me), by free route it’s almost 3 hours away:
The incredible thing about this cenote is that it is surrounded by vegetation, roots of trees that fall towards the cenote and its crystalline and fresh waters make it definitely worth visiting.
Information to visit the Cenote Ik Kil:
- Admission is $ 80 Mexican pesos. (2017).
- Within the area there is a very famous buffet, with extra cost (150 mxn approx).
- You can go by your own and pay the buffet if you want to eat there or you can hire this tour that is operated for Xcaret Experiences, they charges depending on what you want to choose (deluxe or normal), it includes all the above plus transportation and visit Chichen Itza (just get ready to get up early, because it leaves at 7 am).
- It is open every day from 8am to 5pm
- This is a point that should be seen if you are in the Riviera Maya or surroundings, I assure you that it will be something you will remember from Mexico.